One of my tasks for Nerd Night was to set up OpenID authentication on my trac so that the other nerds can log in and change the wiki.
Now, there are two OpenID plugins for trac – an unmaintained one for Trac 0.10, and a maintained one for Trac 0.11
In the past, upgrading Trac minor versions has always been a bit of a pain, especially given the number of additional plugins I usually have installed. But I am motivated, because I want to make the same jump on the office Tracs soon, so that we can configure our workflow – one of the new features of Trac 0.11.
After a half-assed attempt at trying the old plugin last week, I decided to try and upgrade to Trac 0.11 for real, and finish this task. And I decided to do it in a more methodological way than the usual try-and-die. Or, in other words – it’s yak shaving time, baby.
I started by updating my draft hacking notes to 0.11, and making them work with an uninstalled Trac.
Then, on my F-9 desktop, I downloaded source of Trac 0.11.1 and the authopenid plugin. I followed my hacking instructions, updating them as I went, and ran tracd with the authopenid plugin uninstalled without problems.
But our hosted server still runs Fedora Core 4 (Wiebe, is our new server ordered yet ?) so I had to build packages for that version of Fedora. So, I created a new tao directory in my repository of packages, for packages I will be only offering on my own website. I forked spec files for Trac, python-pygments, python-textile, and python-genshi. I updated the Trac one to 0.11.1, and the others I backported to work on FC4.
Then, I created all packages using mach, and encountered a small bug in it that Julien introduced when he added a fix for the problem with different people in the mach group trying to build packages. I worked around that with Another Small Hack, then rebuilt the packages.
I tried out these new packages inside a chroot of mach, by running:
mach -r f4e setup
mach -r f4e yum -y install trac
mach -r f4e chroot
And I again followed my HACKING instructions, but this time the installed ones.
I re-used my hackish python-openid package from last week, and tried to build an rpm of the OpenID plugin. Using
python setup.py bdist_rpm
failed however – for some reason, the templates and css files do not get packaged. Same when running sdist instead of bdist_rpm. So I settled for bdist_egg, and copied the .egg file in the plugins/ directory.
Now, trying to log in, I got a traceback. Googling for it brought me to this trac ticket.
yum install python-sqlite2
solved it, though I have no idea why! The traceback is completely obtuse, and I don’t see how installing something would fix it, but hey… Now I could confirm that the OpenID plugin for authentication worked.
Now, final step, do the actual Trac upgrade on my hosted server!
First of all, take a backup. Luckily, I take daily backups with some script, so it’s just a matter of executing the script once more. Upgrade the trac RPM. Do a trac-admin (path) upgrade on all my trac installations. Try them out. So far so good – everything seems to be more or less working, bar some macros that I will need to rewrite.
Then, configure the authopenid plugin. It failed with a traceback that said that the table ‘oid_nonces’ had 2 colums, and the query was trying to insert 3 values. So I whipped out sqlite3 and compared the schemas between my mach Fedora 4 chroot and my online server. I am assuming that the old OpenID trac plugin created two tables with the exact same name (oid_nonces and oid_associations), but with different schemas. And there is nothing in the authopenid plugin that checks if the schemas are right. So, I dropped the tables, imported the schemas from the chroot sqlite db (handy feature of sqlite3, the .schema command), and bam! Login finally worked!
Not the easiest 4 hour task, but finally completed! On to the next Nerd Night.