This morning I wanted to upgrade my laptop to F11 after both my work and home desktops had been upgraded to F11 64-bit a while back.
Since a few releases I’ve been maintaining and extending my own upgrade guide which makes the process decidedly less painful. In the past I would have my flow interrupted for a few weeks as I ran into yet another thing that wasn’t installed or set up. Now I can just put myself in ‘machine upgrade’ mode and follow the instructions, and adapt them as I go.
Two particular things were annoying this time so I fixed them permanently and crossed off some todo items from my GTD list in the process.
First of all, since the laptop is i386 as opposed to the x86_64 installs I had previously, I hadn’t yet rebuilt packages that I maintain for i386. So I started rebuilding them. And then I realized that I shouldn’t rebuilt noarch packages, I should fix my packaging symlink script to take those into account too.
So, converted my ugly shell script into a slightly less ugly python script that finally is smart enough to put any noarch rpm into the package repos for all archs.
Then I rebuilt the arch packages, and finally created a tao-release rpm so that enabling my repo can now be a one-click install. Should have done this a long time ago.
As you might expect, no promises on quality in that repo, but I use it myself over a bunch of machines, and drop packages there of projects I work on, or packages I still need to submit to Fedora.
While I was on a roll, I also finally updated those package pages and links, dropped the links to the pre-Fedora-9 packages (though they’re all still there if you browse), upgraded from WordPress 2.8.0 to 2.8.4 (still a huge drag).
Anyways, a good start to a Saturday after the worst migraine attack I’ve ever had last night. My back feels like it’s welded shut, but hey, today seems to be an ok day.