I hacked some more this evening on getting UbuntuOne running on my Fedora 11 desktop.
Now, obviously, trying to get something with ‘Ubuntu’ in the name on Fedora was going to be an exercise in masochism, so I pretty much knew what I was in for.
The good thing though is that the desktopcouch and ubuntuone hackers are obviously enthusiastic at someone getting this to run on Fedora, and as I often find the right motivation is 75% of the work. If these guys are going to be receptive to my feedback, then it is worth spending my time getting this to run.
I needed to first figure out order of packages and software. ubuntuone-storage-protocol goes underneath everything. For now I settled on creating a bdist_rpm out of the setup.py, which I should repackage properly later.
On top of that goes the ubuntuone-client stuff.
Here’s a bread crumb trail of bugs I ran into with possible patches I made:
- ubuntuone-storage-protocol 1.0 release does not have pem file in MANIFEST
- ubuntuone poking into httplib.HTTPSConnection private variables which weren’t there before 2.6.3 (Fedora 11 has 2.6, which I assume is the release right before 2.6.1 :))
- a bug where ssl authentication fails, because the ca-certs.crt of Ubuntu is a completely different path on Fedora – but that took a while to figure out because of the obtuse error message
Now I got it to the point where the client applet actually starts up without errors, and loads a UbuntuOne page into my Firefox window:
And there are no further tracebacks on my console.
Sadly, I get this puzzling notification message straight after:
I’m not sure yet how my client can be newer – I’m sure the ubuntuone guys will tell me what this means. Enough hacking for one day, time to catch some sleep for tomorrow.
UPDATE: apparently I ran into this bug, where apparently due to some bug the ubuntuone guys decided to add a capability to make sure no one would be using the old client. I understand the logic but I think that should be handled better – the message is not obvious, and I don’t think it’s easy to figure out what’s wrong.
In any case, the patch worked for me, and I just synced my first test file to the cloud ! Whee ! Not sure why syncing a 22 byte text file took roughly half a minute to sync, but it’s a start.