The good: in around 5 hours of coding (on two train and one plane trips) I knocked together a proof-of-concept traffic redirector for our platform, which understands incoming requests, maps them into client groups, then makes routing decisions by group to any of our sites based on a policy (least cost, geographically closest, …) In addition, I wrote a simulator that replays actual request log lines, and is able to then track the bandwidth used by each client group and each site, and even able to dump it to an .rrd file for later graphing. Not bad at all for a quick hack. Python is awesome when it needs to be.
The bad: some binary tree algorithm I use to be able to get a sorted list of simulated events seems to crap out currently at about 1000 request lines with a ‘Maximum recursion depth exceeded’. Last time I asked our database guy, I think we had about 10 million lines a day.
I don’t think my simulator is ready for prime-time just yet…