Sweet. After a bunch of hacking, packaging, tweaking, and cheating, I was able to do the following:
- add stuff to my shopping list on my desktop, with the command-line client
- without doing anything manual to sync my phone, take it with me to the store
- at the store, do ‘gtd search @shop’ (from a terminal, currently) to get the list of things to shop for, including my recent additions
- come back with my stuff from the store, and mark those items as done on my desktop
- do the same search again on my phone, and see those two items gone
Now of course, this needs some improvement, like a dedicated app to view my things on the phone, plus a way to mark them as done. Also, my code needs optimizing, because out of 2500 things in the couchdb database it takes a good 10 seconds to list these ten. But it’s such an awesome glimpse of my future.
Now one has to wonder if the balance of doing all of this technology stuff to implement something as simple as an indestructible shopping list is worth it in the end… But as technologists I’m sure we all know that feeling, and delude ourselves into thinking this is sensible.