When I look at the list folder in my Evolution these days it’s just a depressing sight. So manny mailinglists I’ve accumulated membership to that go unread now.
I think the model of mailing lists is just fundamentally broken. I just subscribed to the cdparanoia mailing list because I had a bug filed against morituri related to the sample-offset option. And you have to subscribe just to be able to post.
So the process to get some question answered is:
- ask to be subscribed
- wait for the request mail to arrive, which arrives somewhere in my admin/list folder which I keep forgetting about because of server-side .procmailrc rules
- wait some more, because the greylisting on our mailserver probably delayed the arrival
- reply to it
- wait some more, you’re now subscribed
- send your question
- wait some more
- update my Evolution folder subscription selection, because another .procmailrc rule (that I probably stole from jdub) automatically filters the mail into an unfiltered subdirectory which is a catch-all for all mailing lists; but it only shows up in the list when the mail actually arrived of course
- check the mail in the list, which is usually only mine
- remember to check that folder over the next few days for possible answers
- end up accumulating years of cdparanoia list mails that I won’t ever read because the friction of this process is just too much and it’s just easier to waste bytes across the net
Of course, I can just change my account settings on a particular list to not receive mails, until I have my next question, but that’s still painful.
My garden is in dire need of weeding here, but I don’t even know what direction to take it in. Anyone who feels they have a good handle on the mailing list problem want to share their approach with me ?
In particular, I’ve been googling for a solution to a very particular problem: the not noticing mails on mailing lists that are directly for me – either as a reply to one of my questions, or because I’m being CC’d somehow. My filters file all mails to mailing list in their respective folders, and I tend to miss the mails addressed to me a lot. Surely there is an easy procmail recipe that, when I’m in CC in some other way than just through the mailing list, also leaves a copy of the mail in my INBOX ?
Surely there must