[lang]

Present Perfect

Personal
Projects
Packages
Patches
Presents
Linux

Picture Gallery
Present Perfect

CouchDB python unittest setUp/tearDown

Filed under: couchdb,Hacking,Python,Twisted — Thomas @ 11:44 pm

2011-4-3
11:44 pm

I’ve been hacking on Paisley again recently since I found it I am not the only current maintainer. There is a branch on github from which a 0.3 release was recently made.

That’s good news, because I didn’t really need a new project to maintain. But I still have code I want to see land there, so I’m working on merging branches between launchpad, github, and some of my experimental svn branches here and there.

I had just implemented a cache for the object view mapping using couchdb-python’s mapping.py and it turns out someone else was interested in adding memcache support to cache document lookups.

Some discussion started on a possible API, and I took a stab at a first draft over the past week.

Separately from that, I also took a CouchDB training course for work (together with Marek, one of our developers) ran by the Couchbase (company merger of CouchOne, formerly CouchIO (?) and Membase) people. That was a good training – but I digress.

At night Marek told me that they have some 300 lines of code that sadly reuses some classes from the current work codebase to set up and tear down test cases that work against an actual couchdb instance. He didn’t feel like rewriting all that code to not use some of work’s code just so that it could be contributed to Paisley for example. I felt I could do it in less than 100 lines, but he didn’t seem to believe me.

So here I am after a magnificent Jose Gonzalez concert at the Palau de la Musica which is right around the corner from me, trying to write the caching code, and realizing I can’t properly test it together with the change notification listener I wrote.

So while I was watching an episode of Breaking Bad, I wrote the setUp and tearDown code to do just that – start a couchdb instance on a random port, get the port, and connect to it.

It’s probably not perfect yet (I do a busy loop for the creation and filling of the log file to read the port), but it worked for my simple test case. And it’s 74 lines of code, including docstrings (which Marek for some reason does not believe in) and comments (which Marek also not believes in).

It’s being worked on in this branch and I hope to land that in the paisley tree soon.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

picture