Here’s my first entry for the GNOME cookbook.
(note, this is a serious entry, even though its awesome simplicity may make you believe otherwise)
Nuke’m cheese toast
Ingredients: toastable bread, cheese slices
1. Toast a slice of bread, preferably white.
Try to avoid bread that comes out of plastic bags.
2. While the bread is toasting, trim the edge off the cheese slices. A good cheese to use is Gouda.
3. Put toasted bread on a plate and put cheese slice on top.
4. Microwave at 700W for 30 seconds. Assert that cheese has started making tiny bubbles and is melting slightly through the bread.
5. Ignore the smell and enjoy the taste.
I used to make this all the time when I wanted a quick snack to keep up the hacking when I was living in Belgium. I stopped doing it here in Spain because it’s hard to find decent bread. I made one again at Kristien’s place in Brussels last month after three years without having one, and it was so incredibly awesome I had six on the spot.
I will come up with a more elaborate recipe I like but I have some trouble picking one.
Incidentally, I think it would be better to have a longer collection period for recipes – apparently it’s being closed off in two weeks ? There aren’t enough hackers who have contributed yet, Don’t let this be a Federico-cooks-with-a-very-small-bit-of-help-from-friends book (even though every time he writes about cooking he makes my mouth water :))