Every time I want to reply to a comment on my blog I am stupefied at how badly commenting works in WordPress.
Here’s what I can’t figure out:
- Why can’t I comment on a specific comment and start a thread of discussion ?
- Why can’t I easily quote some other comment ?
- Why can’t I comment from the admin interface ?
But these probably are relatively minor. The number one thing that annoys me is how this comment system does not help at all in creating a discussion. It would be so much better if, assuming there was a way to comment on a specific comment:
- your comment to someone else’s comment would get automatically mailed to that person (if he left his email)
- that mail contained a link that would take him to “create a new comment on this comment”
This way, you can keep a discussion going without too much mental friction. Imagine how I would have to do it now – I would have to comment in general (using the @ symbol to indicate at which commenter I’m directing my comment), send them a mail (hey, I saw your comment, and replied), cut and paste my comment or send them a link to it, and ask them their opinion. Then if they still cared enough, they would give it to me, I’d have to ask them if they’re ok with posting their comment again, and then manually post it again. And so on.
Right now often I don’t reply because I’m pretty much sure these people aren’t spending their free time going back to comments they’ve written to see if they got a response. So much possibility for goodness wasted…
My hope is that one of you knows of a plug-in that just Does The Right Thing here. Care to share ?